Welcome to all our new MUV students. Aaron and I would like to say hello and get things underway! The course outline and all the assignments are now posted to NMIT Online and here on the blog so go and take a look 🙂
There are also a number of things we need to do in the first week to get everything going smoothly. We will be spending class time doing this and I will try to list everything here!
1. Your blog
- One of the first things we will be doing is getting your own personal wordpress blog set up as you will be using it to record the work you do throughout this course. Almost all your assessment, apart from the final creation of a build or an event, will be done through your blog posts so the quicker you become familiar with it the easier for you!
- Once you have got your blog up and running, please email me the url and I will add it to the sidebar here so that the rest of the class, as well as Aaron and I, can keep up with what you are doing. Instructions for setting up your blog can be found by following the link in the sidebar or on Moodle and I will be helping you do this in the first class.
- As new blogs are always a bit sad looking – with just a hello world post! – I would like you to answer these questions on your blog as soon as you can.
- What is a virtual world?
- What is interesting to me about virtual worlds?
- How important do you think virtual worlds are now?
- How important do you think virtual worlds will be in 5-10 years?
2. Your Assignment Google doc
- I will be organising the assignments via a google doc for this course, so the second thing we will need to do is to get your google doc set up – once again the instructions can be found in the sidebar link and I will help you out in class.
- I will also be asking you to get it ready for the first assignment.
3. Your Second Life account and avatar.
- Every Wednesday class will be in Second Life with Aaron (aka Isa Goodman) so it is important to ensure that everyone has a Second Life account, can access Second Life and has ‘friended’ Isa Goodman and Arwenna Stardust and joined the class group. You will find some useful links in the sidebar for doing this. I will help on Monday and/or Wednesday to help with any technical problems that we face.
Looking forward to seeing you all 🙂